Hagman Search has partnered with a market-leading brake supplier to recruit a seasoned Chief Engineer specializing in Friction Materials. This role is an excellent opportunity for an experienced engineer recognized as a subject matter expert looking to join a world-class organization.
The Chief Engineer (Friction Materials) will work directly with friction suppliers to specify technical requirements and resolve issues. This includes proposing countermeasures when supplier test samples fail specific tests. The role offers flexibility with remote work or relocation support.
The successful candidate will plan, conduct, and coordinate a broad range of complex engineering technical assignments requiring in-depth knowledge of advanced techniques and principles. They will be regarded as a technical expert in an engineering technology or product line and will be a resource to other engineers.
- Direct and coordinate the technical activities of other engineers or engineering support personnel on specific assignments.
- Perform a full range of technical work including writing test requests, drafting DVP&R documents, writing in-depth test reports, completing DFMEA studies, supplier development activities, and following a stage-gate development process.
- Lead empirical investigations resolving component-level root-cause analysis.
- Plan, conduct, and coordinate a broad range of complex engineering technical assignments requiring in-depth knowledge of the interaction between friction material formulation and foundation brake hardware.
- Execute DVP&R & DFMEA creation and execution.
- Regarded as a friction material and pad assembly technical expert in the area of design and validation.
Skills and Qualifications:
- B.S. in Material or Chemical Engineering is required. M.S. or Ph.D. in Engineering is preferred.
- Minimum of 20 years of experience with friction material development within the automotive industry or commercial vehicle industry.
- Brake Rotor experience is highly regarded.
- VA/VE experience is required.
- 8D process experience and demonstrated implementation of PCA solutions will be highly regarded.
- Effective at communicating complex design principles with a variety of audiences including customers and suppliers.
- Self-starter/self-motivating with a bias for action and results-driven.
- Detail-oriented and driven to complete assigned tasks on time.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding analytical skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Friction formulation specifications.
- Compounding prototype friction material samples.
- Friction characterization.
- Friction material production manufacturing techniques and resolving formulation issues.